Every boater’s worst nightmare is getting stuck out on the lake, especially if nasty weather is rolling in. Though we certainly hope this never happens to you, we’ve put together this handy post with some stranded boat tips in Lewiston, CA, just to be on the safe side:
- Stay calm: Just like with any emergency, the first tip when you’re stranded on the water is to remain calm. No situation is ever handled correctly when everyone is freaking out, so step back and take a few deep breaths. As the captain, you’ll also want to hand out lifejackets and keep all of your passengers comfortable while you continue to handle the situation.
- Stop your drift: You’ll want to ensure you don’t float towards the shore or into the paths of other boaters, so toss your anchor overboard. It’s recommended that your anchor line length be five to seven times the water’s depth.
- Assess the issue: Now that everyone’s calm and the boat is stationary, take a look around and see what the problem might be. It could be as simple as a crack in the fuel line that can be fixed with tape, or a corroded battery terminal that needs to be cleaned. Hopefully, the root of the problem is something you can fix with your onboard tools.
- Get help: In the event that the situation isn’t something you can fix by yourself, get on the phone and call for help. Contact the harbormaster and arrange for a tow, or try to get a hand from any friendly boaters in the area.
Avoid being stranded with these tips
Freak accidents happen that can result in you being stranded on the water in Lewiston, CA, but you can avoid some problems by planning ahead:
- Perform regular maintenance: Every good boater knows that maintenance is key for a fun day on the water. Maintenance includes things like tightening up loose connections, cleaning battery terminals and inspecting hoses. If you’re unable to perform this basic maintenance yourself, we recommend bringing your boat to Trinity Alps Marina. Our crew members are happy to handle all your routine maintenance needs.
- Know your vessel: Before you hit the water, be sure you know your boat like the back of your hand. On top of understanding your boat’s basic operations, be sure you know where all of the vital components are located. If you’re renting a boat for the first time, don’t be afraid to ask the attendant plenty of questions! It’s better to be safe than sorry, so ask as many questions as you need to.
- Always carry extra gas, batteries and supplies: One of our top stranded boat tips in Lewiston, CA is to always be prepared! Carrying extra gas and having a spare battery can get you out of a lot of jams, and every boater needs to have the proper tools onboard.
Getting stranded on the water in Lewiston, CA won’t be a concern if you rent your next boat from Trinity Alps Marina. We rent out the highest-quality boats that will keep you safe while ensuring you have a good time on the water.
Categorised in: Boat Safety
This post was written by Writer