Tips to Ensure Proper Boat Safety in Lewiston, CAJuly 10, 2019 11:37 pm Leave your thoughts
When the warmer months arrive, the boaters come out to play. Before you get behind the wheel, take a few minutes to review the essential rules of the water. Here are some of the most important tips to keep in mind to ensure proper boat safety in Lewiston, CA:
- Use common sense: Similar to driving a car on the road, it’s important to use common sense when operating a boat out on the water. Maintain a safe speed at all times, but be sure to slow down when passing through or cruising in crowded areas. You might encounter large watercraft on your adventure. If you do, give these vessels a wide berth. When you allow distance between them and you, you can better avoid a collision. Another thing to be respectful of are buoys and other navigational objects that are in place on the water for boater safety.
- Follow the forecast: No one can be 100 percent sure of the weather. All you can do is check the forecast a few days before your boating trip, keep an eye on it, then check the weather again before you head out. It’s best to be prepared, and take appropriate precautions should you be alerted to the chance of rain. If you notice dark clouds, winds picking up and rough waters beginning, don’t chance it—get back to shore as soon as possible.
- Write a checklist: While you can make a few different checklists, never leave home without a pre-departure list. Review it thoroughly before your boat leaves the dock to be absolutely sure you have all your gear on board. Make sure everyone is prepared with whatever items they need. Lastly, have a life jacket for every single person and watch everyone put theirs on.
- Share your float plan: Prior to departure, share your float plan with someone, whether it’s a family member, friend or dock staff. Every float plan should include where you’re going, how long you plan to be gone, personal and contact information for all individuals boarding the boat, boat registration info and the type of communication equipment on board.
- Review basic boating rules: No matter your level of experience, both seasoned and novice boaters should be familiar with how to operate the watercraft and basic boating safety rules. Each state has its own boater education requirements, and some even require boaters to complete a safety course.
- Pack food and water: Whether you plan to be out on the water for just a couple hours or all day, make sure to pack and bring a cooler full of food and water. It’s important to stay hydrated, especially when boating on a toasty summer day, and always carry some non-perishable food items in case you’re out longer than expected.
- Don’t drink and boat: Alcohol will impair a captain’s ability to drive the boat safely, and alcohol consumption significantly increases your risk of getting into an accident. For safety’s sake, keep it an alcohol-free trip, even for passengers.
Stay safe and have fun on the water this summer! For information about boat rentals and boat safety in Lewiston, CA, get in touch with the team at Trinity Alps Marina.
Categorised in: Boat Safety
This post was written by Writer